Part of our organization since 1940, the JLE-NS Thrift House has been our League's longest running project and fundraiser. It is located at 920 Chicago Avenue in Evanston. Thrift House helps support our League and our community projects while serving a diverse community. It also gives us the opportunity to offer Voucher Programs to other non-profit organizations including Mary Lou's Place, a domestic violence shelter, and the Youth Job Center of Evanston. The vouchers enable clients of our partner non-profits to shop at the Thrift House at no charge. League members and the public can donate gently used or new clothing, books, electronics and household items.
Started in 2009, the goal of Fitting Futures is to increase the potential for low-income women to achieve economic self-sufficiency. Many low-income women seeking employment are single mothers forced to choose between providing food and shelter for their children or having the right clothes to wear for a job interview. Our clients are referred to us from social service agencies and will be graduates of job training, job readiness, or job counseling offered by those agencies. The JLE-NS provides interview appropriate clothing and helps with clothing and accessory selection. These services deliver an essential that goes with every outfit: self-confidence that she is qualified and capable to get a job.
JLE-NS is proud to contribute to scholarship funds to deserving college and high school students. We provide scholarships for:
- Students at Oakton Community College:
- One recipient had a 4.0 GPA and plans to become a dental hygienist.
- Essay quote: "People have not only opened their doors for students like me, but also their hearts, to help me follow my dreams and become a person of dignity."
- Another recipient had a 4.0 GPA and is a business major.
- Essay quote: "This scholarship will give me the opportunity to continue my education, a gift I truly treasure."
- Women returning to the workforce who are attending National Louis University
- Graduating high school seniors North Shore Country Day School, New Trier High School and Evanston Township High School.